Chorizo Ice Cream
Ivy Tech- East Chicago Campus, 2013 Chorizo Contest
Servings: 6 quarts
- 18 oz El Popular Chorizo (Original)
- 6 1/2 cup Whole milk
- 6 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 6 cups Sugar
- 48 Egg yolks
- 6 tsp Salt
- 6 tbsp Lemon Extract
- Bring the milk and heavy cream to a simmer in a medium pot over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t boil over. Remove from heat as soon as you see bubbles form.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs, sugar, and salt into a thick paste.
- Slowly, steam in the warm milk, and cream mixture while stirring the egg mixture.
- Once combined, return everything to the pan and cook over a double boiler.
- Add the chorizo and stir gently in an “S” shape, make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- The ice cream base is ready when it looks silky, has thickened so it coats the back of a wooden spoon, and has reached a temperature of about 170-degrees.
- Set the bowl over an ice water bath.
- Stir in the lemon extract.
- When cooled, freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.