Chorizo Stuffed Peppers
Ivy Tech Campus, 2012 Chorizo Contest
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Dried basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Uncooked medium grain white rice, cook as directed on package
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 oz El Popular Chorizo
- 1/2 cup Onion, diced
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. mix the first five ingredients together and set aside. Cook rice according to direction.
- Add olive oil to skillet with chorizo, add onions and continue to brown. Drain and put chorizo onion mixture into a bowl with cooked rice let cool then add mozzarella cheese. Stir in tomato mixture, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cut tops of clean red bell peppers off and deseed, and removed soft rib part. In a pot add water and bring water to boil add peppers for about 4 minutes continue to boil. Using tongs remove peppers not to break peppers.
- Fill each cavity with chorizo mixture and place in 6 x6 pan. Fill bottom of pan with about ½ inch of water. Cover pepper with tomato mixture and cover with foil. Cook about ½ hour or until peppers reach 165F.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.