Chunky Chorizo Chili
A true winner from the 2010 Chroizo Contest held at Ivy Tech - East Chicago Campus.
- 12 oz El Popular Chorizo
- 1 lb Bacon, diced
- 1 large Yellow onion diced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz can diced Tomatoes
- 4-5 dashes Worchestershire sauce
- 1 oz El Popular Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1-2 medium Sweet Potatoes (med diced)
- 1 large Green Pepper diced
- 2 15 oz cans Black Beans drained
- 1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, cook the ground beef, breaking it up and stirring gently until most of the beef is browned. About 6-8 minutes. Drain.
- Add chorizo after removing casing. Continue Cooking over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet of medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. About 6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sweet potatoes, onions, and bell pepper; cooking until potatoes are fork tender.
- Next, add garlic, spices, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, and tomato sauce to meat mixture and stir well.
- Add vegetables and water to meat mixture and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add beans during the last 10 minutes to heat through.
- Just before serving, add bacon.