Fried Mexican Lasagna Bites
Ivy Tech- East Chicago Campus, 2011 Chorizo Contest
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) Manicotti shells
- 1/2 lb Queso Blanco or Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 qt Requesón or 16 oz. equal parts ricotta and cottage cheese
- 24 oz Tomatillo sauce
- 3/4 lb El Popular Chorizo (Original)
- 1/4 lb Ground beef
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Bell pepper, finely diced
- 16 oz Black beans, drained
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 2 tbsp Mexican Oregano
- 2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 3 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Ground pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Oil, plus oil for frying
- Cook pasta for 7 minutes.
- Drain in colander and spread on a pan to cool.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat, sauté onion and bell pepper until tender. Add El Popular Chorizo and ground beef, cook for 5 minutes; add seasonings, cilantro, black pepper and salt. Cook until meat is browned.
- Stir in in ½ cup of the tomatillo sauce and black beans, cook until heated through.
- Set the mixture aside and let cool. Add another ½ cup of tomatillo sauce. Fold the cheese and requesón in the cooled meat mixture.
- Stuff each shell with the mixture then cover and place shell in the freezer until firm. Preheat oil to 350 degrees. Prepare breading station (flour, eggs and breads in separate bowls). Cut each shell into 3 pieces. In that order dredge the pieces and fry the bites until a golden brown about 5 minutes.
- Use extra tomatillo sauce for dipping.