Queso Chorizo Soup
Ivy Tech- East Chicago Campus, 2012 Chorizo Contest
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup Celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 quart Low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pkg El Popular Chorizo (Original)
- 2 cups Milk scalded
- 4 oz Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Mexican Dark Beer or Senorial Flavored Sangria Carbonated Beverage
- Unsalted pretzel sticks or bread sticks for garnish
- In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat sweat the vegetables in butter, do not brown.
- Add dry mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Add 2 cups of broth. Cook until vegetable are tender. Puree the ingredients add the remaining 2 cups.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet, drain and add to the vegetable mixture.
- Scald the milk in a small pot.
- Add cheese to melt. Then add to soup
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Add beer or sangria and heavy cream.
- Ladle into bowls add top with garnishes of your choice.