Chunky Chorizo Chili
A true winner from the 2010 Chroizo Contest held at Ivy Tech - East Chicago Campus.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 12 oz El Popular Chorizo
- 1 lb Bacon, diced
- 1 large Yellow onion diced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz can diced Tomatoes
- 4-5 dashes Worchestershire sauce
- 1 oz El Popular Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1-2 medium Sweet Potatoes (med diced)
- 1 large Green Pepper diced
- 2 15 oz cans Black Beans drained
- 1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, cook the ground beef, breaking it up and stirring gently until most of the beef is browned. About 6-8 minutes. Drain.
Add chorizo after removing casing. Continue Cooking over medium heat.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet of medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. About 6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add sweet potatoes, onions, and bell pepper; cooking until potatoes are fork tender.
Next, add garlic, spices, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, and tomato sauce to meat mixture and stir well.
Add vegetables and water to meat mixture and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add beans during the last 10 minutes to heat through.
Just before serving, add bacon.